Many users are now migrating to Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 as it has many new features than the previous versions. Recently we discussed about How to Show Themes And Wallpapers On Windows 8.1 Start Screen. It had become a bit more difficult to shut down windows 8 or windows 8.1 as it has many steps,so today we are going to discuss about how to easily shut down windows 8 or windows 8.1 by just using a keyboard shortcut of your own.
How to Create the Shortcut:
Command lines that perform all the options typically associated with terminating an active session
|Restart||Shutdown -r -f -t 00|
|Shut Down||Shutdown -s -f -t 00|
|Hybrid Shut Down||Shutdown -s -f -t 00 -hybrid|
|Sleep||Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep|
|Sign Off||Shutdown -l|
- Navigate to your desktop.
- Right Click on the desktop, select New > Shortcut. A new shortcut menu appears.
- Enter one of the commands you want from the table given above.I am using to shut down so the command line I have to type in the box is Shutdown -s -f -t 00
- Enter a name for the shortcut and click Finish.A new shortcut will appear on your desktop.
Some of them doesn't like the icon so if you want to change it follow the below steps:
- Right click on the shortcut you just created and select properties.A dialog box appears.
- Click on change icon under the shortcut tab then Click OK if any Warning box appears saying shutdown.exe contains no icons.
- Select an icon from the list of available images or select browse to select custom icon.
- Now click OK. And click again click OK in the properties window.
- Now your new icon will appear on your desktop.If you cant see just refresh your desktop
If you want to pin this shortcut to your start menu just right click on the shortcut and select Pin to Start.The shutdown icon will now appear on your start screen.
Right Click the icon and select Pin to Taskbar if you want the shortcut icon on your taskbar.
If you want to create an keyboard shortcut to your shortcut follow me.
- Right click on the shortcut you created and select properties
- In properties select the shortcut tab and in the Short Key text-box enter the combination of keys you want to use to shutdown your PC.
Hope I made my self clear in this tutorial. If you have any quires relating to this topic please take a moment to drop a comment in the comment box below and let us hear from you.